Job Description :
The primary focus of the Supply Chain Manager is to develop and implement technical, strategic and tactical guidance in the supply chain function for the company’s South African operations, through coordinating and integrating local and export demand for fruit to grower supply. The incumbent will be responsible for local and export logistics of procured fruit and distribution of fruit to market.
Reporting to the Commercial Director, the incumbent will be required to lead and successfully coordinate all activities of the supply chain process including the production planning, sourcing, quality assurance, and distribution of a range of sub-tropical fruit products. While fostering an environment of performance excellence within the process, the Supply Chain Manager will be required to meet overall business objectives of product availability and quality, forecast accuracy, supply-demand management and tracking and logistics coordination. The position will be Nelspruit based.
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS
- Deliver on the comprehensive long-term strategy for the procurement, supply chain and sales functions to support the group’s objectives, ensuring translation into actionable innovative plans that also exploit growth opportunities for market expansion in South Africa.
- Develop and implement a collaborative planning process across the business, managing the supply side interface to meet demand side requirements, to ensure an integrated, transparent, and customer-centric plan, specifically harvesting plans, in-bound and out-bound logistics and associated interfaces with: growers, packhouse managers, transporters and sales teams.
- Establish accurate forecasting based on historical statistics with sales and industry data to manage supply and demand.
- Develop processes that improve buy-side and sell-side customer service levels to increase satisfaction and loyalty.
- Support processes and controls to ensure consistent product quality is achieved.
- Manage compliance of import / export regulations, customs documentation, tariff regulations, country of origin, etc.
- Develop and implement metrics and goals that continually drive performance improvement to ensure better customer service and increased customer loyalty.
- Optimally manage quality of logistics to ensure grower expectations are realised and market standards are met
- Build effective relationships with key customers/suppliers (internal and external) to drive growth and innovation through collaboration.
- Ensure excellent communication and build a team based approach within the Supply Chain function and throughout the company to deliver sustainable results.
- Play a key role in the Sales and Operations planning meetings to improve Supply Chain optimisation
- Proactively contribute to improve the company's’ value proposition to meet and exceed the customer’s needs.
- Monitor the supply chain: supplier performance, downstream processing and logistics and provide insight to correct quality deviations.
- Supervise inspections where breach of supply chain protocol is evident.
- Relevant tertiary qualification in Agriculture, Supply Chain Management of Fresh Produce, Commerce, or similar.
- Five years experience at a management level with well-developed leadership skills in fresh produce supply chain.
- Track record of developing and implementing successful supply chain processes that deliver step-changing business results.
- Strong commercial and supply chain acumen including understanding related business and financial records.
- Knowledge of international trade terms and international multimodal transportations.
- Resilient to aggressive competition and continuously changing market dynamics.
- High standard of excellence.
- Ability to:
- Think analytically and problem solve effectively
- Motivate self and create a motivating environment to drive execution and make things happen
- Work autonomously and to be flexibly minded
- Communicate and negotiate effectively with influence at a senior level
- Build strong collaborative relationships both internally and externally
- Handle multiple priorities simultaneously
- Use technology as a tool across the supply chain for smarter decision-making
- Demonstrate high integrity
- Willingness to travel both in South Africa and internationally.
- Advanced practical knowledge of MS Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint) is essential.
- Experience in the sub-tropical fruit / fresh produce industry is required.